Jump to – Lectures | Consulting | Contact me
About Dr. Yoni Alkan
Sex is the most mysterious language in the world, and I have studied for years to become an expert. We usually feel comfortable with the social code of conduct when we’re in a group situation, but when it comes to one on one interaction we sometimes falter, fumble, or feel embarrassed. I would like everyone to be able to communicate in intimate relationships with ease, and without shame or fear. Every person has specific sexual needs or desires, but we tend to be much more alike than we are different.
I provide guidance, education and advice through personal consulting and group lectures. We all have the potential to talk about our unique sexuality in a comfortable, natural and positive way. Becoming more fluent in the language of sex can increase our awareness, pleasure and joy in our relationships and within ourselves.
For years, I was that one friend people felt comfortable approaching with their sex and relationship questions. I was intrigued, and began to study interpersonal relationships.
I earned an MA in Conflict Resolution and Mediation, and then completed a Sexual Educator course with the Israeli Planned Parenthood in order to volunteer on a helpline for teens. Eventually I decided to build further expertise in this area, and earned a Doctorate of Human Sexuality (DHS) at the Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco.
Sexual consulting is a short and focused process in which we treat specific issues with clear guidance towards a viable solution. In contrast, sexual therapy delves deep into a person’s psyche and is usually a longer, more costly and in-depth process.
Everyone deserves to have a fulfilling and pleasurable sex life, but there are quite a few issues that might hinder a person from achieving their goals: sexual or social insecurity, sexual dysfunction, curiosity that isn’t quenched, friction within a relationship, etc. Sexual consulting can be one way to help resolve these issues.
Consulting sessions can be held privately or in couples, either in person or over video chat. They are held in a calm and respectful environment that focuses on your comfort and pleasure.
These are a few of the lectures that I offer for groups of all sizes. Please contact me with the specifics of your event, and topics can be tailored to your group’s interests.
- Sexuality 101 – This flagship lecture provides bite-sized introductions to several subjects. The talk can have a general focus, or can be customized to the group.
- Is there a sexologist in the house?! – A dynamic Q&A where the crowd asks questions anonymously, and everyone gets to learn about everything on the fly. Great for any event: bachelor and bachelorette parties, a ladies’ night, quilting bees, etc. This activity will always be different and change in accordance with group participation.
- Going the distance – Unfortunately it is common for many relationships to go into a decline after a few years. In this lecture I will give you tools and a mindset to help you maintain a sexually happy relationship. A fire that goes out can still be rekindled!
- The more the merrier – Alternatives to conventional monogamy are becoming more common and openly acknowledged. This lecture discusses Consensual Non-Monogamy (CNM), which includes sexually open relationships and Polyamory. We discuss some of the tools used to facilitate these relationships, and how those tools may be applied in monogamy as well. If you are questioning your own relationship to monogamy, this lecture may also help you clarify your preferences.
- I am who I am – Sexual Identity has been in the headlines in recent years, with Transfolks and same sex marriage coming more into the mainstream media. Here you will gain a deeper understanding of the basic terminology and will be able to form a more rounded and knowledgeable opinion on the subject.
- 50 shades of consent – What is BDSM, really? A certain popular book/movie may not be entirely accurate. Come and explore the amazingly diverse world of Kink, and see if anything strikes your fancy.
- Making peace on the dating battleground – Dating has become a bit of a war zone, with its own attacks, defenses, conquerors and aggressors. But we don’t have to agree to these conditions; with effort and a change of mindset we can make dating an easygoing, positive, safe and pleasant experience for everyone.
If you have any questions, you can always email me
Please, feel free to ask me anything: